Wed, Apr 05|
Armored vs Daring Leadership - Part 1 Armor up
Armor is bulky, uncomfortable, restricts our movement, and makes us slow. But... it protects us as well. In this 3 part series of Defining Leaders, we will discuss why we use metaphorical armor to protect us and what we gain when we chose to be daring instead.
Time & Location
Apr 05, 2023, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
About the Event
The greatest barrier to daring leadership is not fear; the greatest barrier is armor, or how we self-protect when we’re in fear. This is Part 1 of a three-part series, based on a podcast by Brene Brown where we unpack the most common types of armor, including being a knower versus being a learner, tapping out of hard conversation versus skilling up and leaning in, and using shame and blame to manage others versus using accountability and empathy. Join us for a conversation that includes real examples and actionable strategies about how we can dare to lead.
In this session, we'll discuss why you put on armor and what happens when you do. It may look like this:
- I'm not enough. I don't know if I can do this (face this particular challenge, issue, relationship...)
- If I'm honest about what's happening, they'll think less of me. Maybe they'll even use it against me.
- I can't be honest about what's going on right now... No one else is honest, why do I have to put myself out there?
- Who cares about these people anyway? I don't see any of them being honest about what scares them, they've got tons of issues.
- Now that I think about it, it's probably their issues that make me act this way. Its their fault. They're tring to blame me, but its because of them.
- I'm better than them. Who needs them anyway....
Let's unpack this further. Join us for this week's session on Armored vs. Daring Leadership. And listen to Brene's podcast prior to the session here: